Dish of Day Two of Blogging Marathon#14 is Matar Karanji.
Matar Karanji in Marathi refers to Peas stuffed puffs. They can be steamed, shallow fried or deep fried.
This is like gujiya made of green peas.
For Cover :
Whole Wheat Flour (gehun ka atta) - 2 cups
Oil - 1 teaspoon
For Stuffing :
Green Peas - 2 cups
Fresh coriander leaves - handful
Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar - pinch
Salt - As per individual taste and preferance
Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida (hing) - pinch
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Chaat Masala - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil for frying
For the Cover :
1) Take wheat flour in a bowl and add salt in it.
2) Heat 1 teaspoon oil and add this hot oil (mohan) in the wheat flour.
3) Add water and knead into dough.
4) Cover with muslin cloth and keep aside for at least half an hour.
For the Stuffing :
1) Heat one tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottom vessel (kadhai)
2) When the oil gets heated, add mustard seeds.
3) After the mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
4) Add green peas and stir continuously.
5) Cover with lid.
6) Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, sugar and chaat masala and stir well.
7) Cover with lid and let the peas cook properly.
8) Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
9) Let this green peas mixture cool and crush the peas using spoon or masher.
10) Add fresh coriander leaves.
For matar karanji :
1) Make small balls of the kneaded dough and roll small puris.
2) Take some stuffing and keep it in the centre.
3) Fold one part over the other so that it is in shape of gujiya or half moon shape.
4) Press the edges firmly using water so that the stuffing does not come out.
5) Heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
6) When the oil gets heated, deep fry these karanjis.
Serve matar karanjis hot with some tomato sauce or chutney.
Blogging Marathon is a great initiative started by Srivalli and is in its Fourteen Edition now...
This Matar Karanji is a great favourite among the kids in my family........
Sending this to Srivalli's Kid's Delight, guest hosted by me themed on Easy to Make Snacks under30 mins......
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing Blogging Marathon#14........