THE THEME FOR THIS WEEK IS KIDS DELIGHT : TRAVEL FOOD
Todays dish is Thalipeeth.. Its traditional Maharashtrian breakfast dish and my personal favorite also is great for long travels and also extremely healthy and nutritious.
Choosing recipes for Kids Delight was done keeping in mind healthy and nutritious dishes which were tasty and enjoyed by kids
- It contains nutrients, fiber and essential minerals.
- Rich source of proteins and carbohydrates.
- Good for metabolism.
Traditionally, thalipeeth bhajani was always made at homes and so every household had their own version and proportions.
Thalipeeth Bhajani can be made of jowar, whole wheat flour, bajra, besan and rice flour.
The ingredients are dry roasted and then grinded together in powder like consistency.
This mixture can be stored in air tight containers for months.
Nowsdays, thalipeeth bhajani is easily available in any shop or store.
Thalipeeth / Multigrain Pancake
- Take 1 medium onion and finely chop it/
- In a large bowl mix thalipeeth bhajani and finely chopped onion and mix well.
- Add chilli powder / green chillies, turmeric powder, coriander powder, ginger and salt and mix well.
- Add water as necessary to knead a dough
- Add coriander, 1 teaspoon of oil and curd & mix well
- Make a ball and flatten it with your palm on a non stick pan.
- Place the flatten dough on heated girdle/tava.
- If nonstick pan is not being used, ensure that some oil is spread on the girdle before you place the flatten dough so that it doe not stick.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook for sometime on medium heat.
- When it starts crackling, that is an indication that thalipeeth is cooked from one side.
- Flip it on the other side and let it cook uncovered.
- Serve it hot with curds, pickle, homemade butter (loni) or chutney.