It is a simple sweet dish which is easy to make and the ingredients that are required are generally ones which are easily available in most Indian homes.
Though I don't have a sweet tooth, Sheera remains one of the few deserts that I at times venture eating. Especially the sheera which is given as prasad during Satyanarayan Puja is sometime that I find hard to resist.
For Sheera prepared for Satyanarayan Pooja, all the ingredients listed below are to be taken in equal measure of 1 and 1/4 cups. Banana is also added to the sheera and few strands of saffron can be added to give it royal look.
Here's how I made Sheera at our home -
- Rava /Semolina / Sooji - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup ( more or less as per individual taste and preference)
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Cloves / Lavang / Laung- 2/3
- Mixture of Water and milk - 1 and 1/2 cups
- Nutmeg / Jaiphal powder - 1/4 teaspoon
For garnishing -
- Cashews - 4/5
- Almonds - 4/5
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan / kadhai .Add cloves/ lavang for flavour.
- Then, add rava and roast the rava/Semolina / Sooji till it turns brown and your kitchen is filled with its lovely aroma.
- Heat the mixture of water and milk till the mixture is warm (do not boil).
- After the rava/Semolina / Sooji is finely roasted in ghee, add warm water and milk mixture.
- Stir the mixture well and cover it with lid for couple of minutes.
- When the mixture is properly cooked, add sugar and stir the mixture continuously.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook for some minutes.
- Switch off the gas and add nutmeg powder for fragrance.
- Garnish with cashews and almonds.
- Sheera is ready to be served.