Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day Six - Vegan Potato Latkes


The sixth recipe for Day Six of the 7 Days 7 Recipes Marathon by Nupur is Vegan Potato Latkes. Like I mentioned in my earlier posts, I was a non-food blogger(new blogger at that) who joined this marathon, thanks to Nupur who was sweet enough to let me join the marathon with these wonderful people.
Here's what we were upto on Day 5.....
I thoroughly enjoyed participating in this Marathon..cooking and sharing the recipes, visiting so many wonderful blogs and reading such variety of different, some traditional and some extremely creative recipes.
Thanks to the Marathon, I have so many recipes bookmarked for cooking.(I think I would need to start a bookmark project at this rate :))
I received so many new visitors to my blog who read it and left lovely comments.Those comments really made my day.I must thank each one of you who took time out to read my blog and give your lovely encouraging comments. Thanks one and all for encouraging me.
Coming back to Recipe 6 for the Sixth Day of the Marathon, the post in which Nupur had extended her invitation to all fellow bloggers for participating in 7 days 7 recipes marathon,had coincidentally one of the recipes that I had bookmarked -Potato and Sweet Potato.
Today's recipe is Vegan Potato Latkes which is inspired, bookmarked and adapted from Nupur's Potato and Sweet Latkes.
The link to Nupur's recipe is here which in turn is bookmarked from Lydia's recipe from The Perfect Pantry.
We had a visit from dad's maushi(aunt) who is a vegan and here's my adaptation of the receipe that I made for her. I did not use flour and eggs.
Vegan Potato Latkes
Ingredients - For one person -
Potatoes - 2 medium Salt as per taste.
Red chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon / Green Chilly - 1
Turmeric powder - Pinch
Sugar - Pinch
Asafoetida - Pinch
Method -
Take 2 potatoes and wash them. Cut them into two equal halves. Do not peel the skin of potatoes.
Take the potatoes in your hand such that the skin of the potato is in your palm.
Grate the potatoes(till only the skin of the potatoes remains in your hand).
Add salt, red chilli powder/green chilli(I used red chilli powder).
Add a pinch of sugar, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
Mix well and do not add water. Drain any excess water of the grated potatoes.
Heat a non-stick pan / frying pan.
Take the entire mixture and flatten it on the pan(like we do for thalipeth)

When one side turns golden brown (ensure that it does not get burnt) flip over to the other side,this time apply oil. Oil may be added to the sides both the times so that it becomes crispy. When both sides are done, vegan potato latkes are ready to be served hot with tomato sauce or mint-coriander chutney.

Like most of the recipes that I did for the marathon, this one also can be done in practically 2 minutes, requires very few ingredients and no before hand preparation.
This is a very simple and basic recipe. Cheese, mushrooms or vegetables can be added. See you tomorrow for the next recipe.

8 comments:

ruchikacooks said...

Potato pancakes are a nice way to start the day..with some egg or toast and you are good to go..

Rujuta said...

@ Ruchikacooks: Hi Ruchira, yes they taste great & latkas with potato & eggs and toast would be great start to the day.

Sheetal Kiran said...

I have been trying to leave a comment on your posts, but for some very odd reason they never make it through!

The latkes look divine Rujuta! I especially love their crusty exterior!

Rujuta said...

@ Sheetla Kiran : Welcome to my blog. The latkas taste great. Do try them and let me know

Vinaya said...

nice write-up and pics Rujuta..am always on the lookout for healthy and tasty breakfast ideas..will try this out!

Rujuta said...

@ Vinaya : Do try it....Its very tasty.

DRY GROUNDNUT CHUTNEY said...

Hi Rujuta,

I am prathiba from "The indian food court".Potato latkes is really new to me. Looks tempting. Wonderful blog u have.

Rujuta said...

@ Pratibha : Welcome to my blog and thanks for your kind words